Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wedding



I walked in the door and could smell one of the smells I love - Pine Sol.  He had just finished mopping floors and was doing the dishes.  I could hear instrumental music in the background, and instantly my heart was curious - who was this man listening to violins and piano? And then I began to recognize....the tune - I heard that same tune many years ago - nine to be exact.  They day we were married.  He had taken our wedding video and had it converted to DVD (it was in VHS - anyone remember those days?).  He kissed me on the forehead and said, "Happy Anniversary." And I was drawn in....

Who were those young kids I saw on the video - the ones time had weathered and worn?  I was captivated by the images long locked away on tape, and I with no way to view them.  I watched the bridesmaids walk down the aisle, and then the trepidant flower girl, only 3 and her cousin as ringbearer inch their way down.  And there, behind the closed doors at the back of the church - the ones with the narrow pane of glass, I see my father lean over and kiss my cheek.  The doors swing open and the guests rise for bride as she makes her way to the bridegroom. 

She is all smiles, aware of everyone's eyes on her - and her eyes locked on the one waiting for her at the end of that long road. The scene moves to that of the groom - his eyes locked on his bride, beckoning her to join him.  I can see the joy in his face and as the two become one, the joining of spirits, signified by the lighting of the unity candle.

And as I watch, God speaks to me in those moments for He is our bridegroom at the end of a road calling to his bride.  We leave our mother and father - Adam and Eve, that sinful past, and join His family. It starts with small steps - we hear His word, and it beckons us.  He proposes, offering us proof of His commitment to marriage  - the Holy Spirit, living in us.  We accept with tears of joy, and anticipate the wedding day.  The rest of our life, we journey down the aisle, our bridegroom waiting for us at the end of that road.  Our eyes are fixed on Him, and He on us.  He is full of joy, and love, and hope that He eagerly gives us, his church.

Ephesians 5:31-32
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church."

No comments:

Post a Comment